Silver is a chemical element that is a soft, white, and lustrous transition metal. It can be bent into extremely thin sheets. It is highly shining but becomes tarnish with the passage of time because of the reaction between silver and Sulphur of air. That’s why cleaning silver can be a tricky and carefully handled task. There is no need to buy any expensive silver tarnish removers to clean your silver pots or daily use jewelry you wear. In this post you will get the best homemade remedy to clean silver with 6 amazing methods.
Nowadays a lot of your jewelry items are covered with a thin layer of silver for beautiful and stunning shine. Usually things that we used on a regular basis don’t fade rather than those who stayed packed or unboxed for much time. You can clean your silver from items that may be already available at your home or you may need to buy them at cheap prices and easily available in the market.
Best Homemade Remedy To Clean Silver: Methods
How to clean silver? There are so many homemade remedies to clean silver. Here I am going to explain a few effective remedies for your ease. Let’s have a look at the best homemade remedy to clean silver.
1. Baking Soda and Aluminum Foil
How to clean silver with foil? This remedy works very efficiently and is considered as the best method to clean your silver made items. It works for things that are usually bigger like tableware’s, candle-sticks and any kind of silver cutlery. Never go with this remedy to clean out your jewelry especially those who have gems and stones bedded in them.
- Aluminum foil
- Baking soda
- Paper towel
Procedure of Baking Soda and Aluminum Foil:
This remedy is done with very few and manageable steps. Let me explain them to you below.
- Take a ceramic or any glass bake-ware. Avoid metal ones to avoid any sort of reactions while cleaning silver using aluminum foil.
- Now line the bottom of the non-metal or non-aluminum bake-ware with aluminum foil.
- Fill the bake-ware with water and add 1.5 tablespoons of baking soda into it. bring to the boil on normal flame.
- Put the tarnished silver item into this boiling water. And wait for at least 15 minutes.As the item soaks this mixture of aluminum foil and baking soda the tarnish starts to loosen the silver.
- Bring the item out of the bake-ware using kitchen tongs and place it on a paper towel. Let it become cool. Hopefully, all the tarnish will be gone.
- If there is any stubborn tarnish left behind then repeat the process.
2. White Vinegar and Baking Soda
Cleaning silver with vinegar: This remedy especially works well for cleaning silverware. Vinegar has an acidic nature and helps to clean the tarnish effect from silver.
Procedure of White Vinegar and Baking Soda:
The procedure for this remedy is also very simple just like the previous one and its results are also very effective and mind blowing to clean your silverware or any jewelry items.
- Line the bottom of the non-metallic dish with aluminum foil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and kosher salt (optional) and pour a half a cup of white vinegar into the dish.
- Now, the mixture is beginning to bubble. Add 1-2 cups of boiling water and submerged your items fully into the dish.
- After 30 minutes clean them off using a dry cloth. And all tarnish will be gone!!
3. Ammonia Solution and Water
This solution works simply for the brightening of your silverware, jewelry or any other sort of jewelry items. But never use this remedy on antique silver items or jewelry.
Procedure of Ammonia Solution and Water:
Prepare a solution of 1 part ammonia with 2 parts of lukewarm water. Now place your desired cleaning item in this solution. Let the item soak this solution at least for 15 minutes. Bring the item out of solution. Dry it with a soft and clean cotton cloth in purpose to polish the surface.
4. Lemon Juice and Salt Bath
Water spots and slight tarnish can easily be removed from silver by using lemon juice with a mixture of salt bath.
Procedure of Lemon Juice and Salt Bath:
Take a bowl and squeeze a lemon into it. Add three tablespoons of salt and add warm water into it. Place your item into this solution. After 20 minutes, rub your item with the help of white silver cleaning cloth and the result will be good. But if you use a regular cloth for polishing you will have to apply more force to remove the tarnishing effect.
5. Laundry Detergent
This remedy works for less tarnished silver cleaning. Add 1 cup of detergent into boiling water and now soak your tarnished silver item fully into this liquid. After 20 minutes, rub and clean it with a dry cloth.
6. Toothpaste to Clean Silver
How to clean silver jewelry? How to clean silverware? It is the easiest remedy for this purpose. Take a small amount of toothpaste on the brush and rub it frictionally against the tarnish. Leave it for 5 minutes. Now rinse it off with clean water.
Tips to Prevent Tarnish
There are following things by which you can keep your silver items safe from tarnishing effect and keep them shining. Although you can’t completely make them vacuumed, moisture or heat free but you can do your best by using some pro tips. Try to use these homemade silver cleaner/diy silver cleaners, they will prove helpful to you.
- Place jewellery in an anti-tarnish bag at a cool and dry spot.
- Place a piece of chalk into the box of your jewellery item because chalk absorbs the moisture.
- Try to wear your jewelry because the more you wear them the more they will be shiner rather than keeping them packed in your boxes every time.
- Keep your jewellery away from perfume, because perfume or scents will make them fade.
- Try not to swim in pools that are chlorinated or use any bleach or ammonium containing products.
- Take a small amount of conditioner and rub it onto your silver item with the help of soft cloth. It will protect it.
In short, these are the easiest remedies to clean silver. There are also so many silver cleaning items found in our Market for our comfort, but when you are available with easy remedies you don’t need to run towards them.